Anyone using a USB wireless dongle as access point on fedora?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 21:22:28 UTC 2011

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 14:07:25 -0700
JD wrote:

> > (I'm hoping I can provide a wi-fi connection for my
> > phone from my desktop at work).

> Be sure to set your desktop to enable ip forwarding,
> and if you have a firewall enabled on y our desktop,
> be sure to add a rule to allow packets to/from your USB
> interface. Also, your main interface should NAT packets
> from your USB interface, otherwise, your will not be
> able to connect your phone to the public net.

Yea, but that is all stuff to worry about after
I find hardware that actually works :-).

I should also be sure to setup wireless security
and not broadcast my SSID, etc. (so as not to
attract the MIS department's attention, who
would surely tell me I'm not allowed no matter
how secure I make the interface :-).