Reasons for choosing Fedora over Debian

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 11:12:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:01 PM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org> wrote:
> Roger <arelem at bigpond.com> writes:
>> Hi Nikolaus
>>
>> I'm thinking that you could make yourself a list of what apps you would
>> like to have and another of what apps you really need to do your thing
>> for both and compare. I have not found the problem you mention, of apps
>> for one that are not on another.
>
> I am not talking about apps, I am talking about things like:
>
> - ability to install completely on LVM (including /boot)

I've heard it can be done with Fedora. If you really want to. Check
the wiki, maybe need to dig back a few versions.

> - tracking of packages that were manually installed vs packages that
>  were only installed to satisfy dependences
> - 3-way merge of changed configuration files on package upgrade
> - ability to do release upgrades live on a running system
> - excellent automated grub2 setup (os-prober)

FWIW, the Debian grub2 finds all my Fedora installs and puts them in
the boot menu when I run the update utility. (It can't seem to
overcome BIOS issues and boot from my third drive when I have all
three hooked up, but that's a different issue. Fedora's classic grub
isn't handling that well, either.)

> Nothing of this is really essential, but these are nice Debian features
> that Fedora apparenttly doesn't have. Now I would like to know about
> stuff comparable to this that Fedora has, but Debian hasn't (I'm sure
> there are many).

I still suggest dual-booting and playing with both.

>  »Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.«

Semantic flies like a lead balloon.

;-9

Joel Rees