Reasons for choosing Fedora over Debian

Piscium groknok at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 14:12:00 UTC 2011

On 25 April 2011 13:16, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The total of 25 K is misleading as some packages are counted twice, so
>> the Fedora total is probably around 20-22 K. Also there are other
>> repos that I have not enabled, such as Atrpms.
>
> This isn't really a good comparison as the same command in my Fedora 15
> installation, gives me
>
> repolist: 29,883
>
> Raw count is a fairly meaningless measure.   What would be interesting
> is to talk about what software if any that you use on a regular basis is
> missing from the Fedora (+ popular third party repos)

Yours is a good point, and also the way I see things. So yes,
everything I use on a regular basis is available in the repos I have
currently enabled, plus a package or two in Atrpms. And there are also
two applications that I build from source, but they are very specific
and I think no distro has them yet (they are very simple to build
anyway, so not worthwhile to package).

But then there is software I want to try out, and here the picture is
different. So some weeks ago when I was looking at window managers I
did log to Debian as they have a greater choice, but the one I
eventually chose is both in Fedora and Debian.