ecryptfs and password

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Apr 25 21:56:15 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-04-25 at 07:14 -0400, ssc1478 wrote:
> I encrypt the home directory - to defend against theft.  But entering
> the passphrase at every boot each time is not all that friendly.

I encrypt the main volume, which holds all the partitions.  You get
asked to enter a password before boot can get past the first few stages.
Then everything acts like an unencrypted drive, as far as you're
concerned.

Better that a thief can't boot things, at all.  So they'll have a
virtually useless computer, or they'll just install Windows on the
laptop, erasing all your files in the process.

Hmm, I wonder if that's a good choice to stick into the GRUB menu for a
laptop that might be stolen?  A "Re-install Windows" item that fires up
some procedure that wipes drive and starts an installation, of some
sort.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686