smartd reporting disk failing

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 00:36:55 UTC 2011

I purchased a 1Tb Seagate Go drive a few months ago.  It's formatted as
NTFS.  Today I started getting reports from smartd that the disk is
failing.  Specifically it's telling me that there are many bad sectors.
  There are no messages in /var/log/messages indicating any failures.
Why is smartd claiming the disk is bad?  This is the second drive (also
a Seagate Go) that I get reports that the drive is failing less than a
year after buying the drive. I can't believe that a drive would go bad
after a few months use.  I have other Seagate drives that have been in
use for years without any issues.  The problem seems to be specific to
drives that are powered via USB.

Any assistance in the matter is appreciated.

Paolo