Please help me installing RT3070STA

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Apr 26 13:27:39 UTC 2011

신승원 writes:

> I really appreciate your advice, but I need a solution that can be done
> without return it and buying another...

The error messages you've shown below suggest that the vendor's kernel
module was compiled and built for a different kernel version than what you
have F14.

All modules must be compiled for a specific version of the kernel. Just
because you're looking at something that claims that it's a kernel module
doesn't mean that you can actually sprinkle some fairy dust over it, load
it, and it'll work. It doesn't work this way. Vendors typically build their
modules for specific kernels. Usually the "enterprise" kernel builds, like
RHAS or Suse kernels. Maybe, if you're lucky, they'll have a build for a
three year old Fedora kernel. Which will be just as useless to you as
anything else. Modules have to be compiled specifically for whatever kernel
version you're running. Even if you manage to install this module now, the
next time you update the kernel the module isn't going to work any more, and
you'll have to build it again.

If the vendor provides the source for their module, you might be able to
build it yourself, for whatever kernel you're running. It's not something
than an ordinary non-technical user could do, you have to have a development
background. Quite often you'll find that the module won't build at all,
because something has changed in the kernel after the module was written,
then you'll have to figure out what has changed, and what needs to be done
to the module to fix it, and hopefully it'll work.

Again, the path of least resistance for most people is to always use
hardware that's directly supported by the kernel.