Dealing with e-mail attachments with names containing spaces.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Apr 26 14:33:46 UTC 2011

Aaron Konstam writes:

> If you get an e-mail whose attachment has spaces in its name one has
> problems dealing with the attachment in Linux. I found a way to deal
> with them (such as open a pdf file attachment) but I wonder is anyone
> has a more coherent way to deal with them than I have found.
>
> My way is somewhat hoakie. I am using evolution to read mail.

There is nothing particularly bizarre about attachments whose name contains
a space. How well it gets handled depends entirely upon what you use to read
email. There are several different MIME attributes that different email
software may consider when deciding what is the "name" of an attachment, so
its entirely possible that you will get completely different results with
different software.