Dealing with e-mail attachments with names containing spaces.

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 26 21:46:57 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 11:23 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-04-26 at 09:23 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > If you get an e-mail whose attachment has spaces in its name one has
> > problems dealing with the attachment in Linux. I found a way to deal
> > with them (such as open a pdf file attachment) but I wonder is anyone
> > has a more coherent way to deal with them than I have found.
> >
> > My way is somewhat hoakie. I am using evolution to read mail.
>
> You don't explain what these problems are, nor what your solution to
> them is, so your question is rather hard to address.
>
> poc

Ok, I thought the problem is obvious. It is the same problem one has if
you apply any Linux program to such a file.
In this case the attachment file was: Konstam plan description.pdf

When I try to open it with Adobe Reader it tried to open a file called
Konstam which it claimed was a Binary file.

I am not sure that my solution would work consistently. I pretended to
forward  the file in a way that the attachment was still present. The
attachment here was in a more tractable form which allowed me to insert
extra characters to allow me to open the file. However, the e-mail was
wrapped in a security envelope so I don't know whether what I did would
work with a normal e-mail.
Sendmail may be safely run set-user-id to root. -- Eric Allman,
"Sendmail Installation Guide"
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net