So where are my workspaces??

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 22:46:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 02:48:43 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> On 04/28/2011 02:40 AM, Beartooth wrote:
>>
>> 	I logged in, and it put me onto what has always been my workspace
>> #1. But there are no panels, let alone a workspace switcher; and right-
>> clicking does nothing anywhere.
>
> GNOME Shell manages workspaces dynamically
>
> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/gnome-shell-gets-automatic-
workspaces.html

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlGAmFex9ts

	<sigh> Why do people inveterately do (%&&%% videos instead of
plain clean prose explanations? <tears beard>

> If you want to launch apps on predesignated workspaces,  use the
> extension,   gnome-shell-extensions-auto-move-windows

	OK, yum installed that.

> After you install the extension, you can do something along the lines of
>
> $ gsettings set org.gnome.shell.extensions.auto-move-windows
> application-list
> "['mozilla-firefox.desktop:1','mozilla-thunderbird.desktop:2']"

	Well, I did three in that format, and stopped there, meaning to
ask how I leave a workspace blank; but it got me an error message in
techtalk over my head about usage. It had to do with schema, path, key,
and value -- whatever those are ...

> Hope that helps

	Yes: it tells me the job can probably be done, and that's a great
relief.