Fedora 14 - Problem With External VGA Monitor

Charlie McVeigh cbmcveigh at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 13:38:37 UTC 2011

I recently upgraded from fedora 13 to Fedora 14 on my Lenvo Thinkpad T61.
I primarily use my laptop with a Lenovo docking station and an
external VGA monitor.
The video card is an nVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M.

While running Fedora 13 (and earlier versions) I was able to use my
external monitor and proprietary
nVIDIA drivers with no issues or problems whatsoever.

Using the external monitor with Fedora 14 is another story:

i) With the nouveau video drivers installed I can use my external
monitor, but I must leave my laptop display open while in the
docking station and I must press the Fn-F7 key to make sure the
external display is selected.  If I leave my laptop case closed
as I was able to do Fedora 13 and every earlier version, I can watch
the system boot and once the system "acorn" completes and
the display switches to the GUI Logon dialog, the external monitor
goes blank and displays nothing.

Is there a setting to change that will allow the external monitor to
remain active once the GUI Logon starts and my laptop case is closed
while in the dock?

ii) I tried installing the proprietary nVIDIA drivers and the
situation is a bit worse than when using the nouveau drivers.  With
nVIDIA
I can watch the system boot on the external VGA  monitor, but I get a
character based progress bar across the bottom of the screen
instead of the graphical "acorn."  Once the system switches to the GUI
logon there is no display whatsoever on the external monitor - it is
totally unusable.

iii) I personally would like to use the nVIDIA drivers as I have found
the nouveau drivers to be somewhat unstable.  My system display locks
up and freezes
at least 3 times a week with a garbled display.  I wish that I could
recreate the scenario that causes the garbled display but I can't, so
I can't submit a bug
report.

Any help in getting the the external VGA display working correctly
would be most appreciated.

Charlie