Firefox / Compiz problem to mull over with someone.

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Fri Apr 29 18:19:36 UTC 2011

Hi;

My problem is not a big one or a rush.  It is just gotten under my skin
and would like help with a fix or a hack or something.

Problem:

I can't get Compiz at startup to place Firefox on viewport (workspace)
#2 at startup or login.

Information:
Using Firefox 3.6.16 and Compiz 0.8.6
I have four horizontal workspaces on my bottom panel.  One of the
workspaces (#2) I want to dedicate to Firefox.
My Start Applications program has a bash script that is supposed to
delay the start of Firefox, i.e. "sleep 15; firefox & exit".  It is one
of my attempts at a workaround.
Through the CCSM Place Windows plugin I have set up the following
Viewport positioned windows: (title=Firefox$ | class=Firefox-bin
X Viewport Postions: 2
Y Viewport Postions: 1

What happens:
At startup, either login or restart, Firefox opens in viewport #2 very
briefly then moves itself to viewport #1. If at startup, because of my
delay script, I can get the focus onto viewport #2 with my mouse, then
Firefox will open on #2 and stay there.

During a session, after start up is completed, I can close Firefox,
focus on any viewport and when I re-launch Firefox it will automatically
open in viewport #2 as it should.

What I think is happening is that at startup, the workspace switcher
applet is stealing the focus from Firefox and placing the focus where
the workspace switcher wants the focus, namely workspace #1.

I am asking if anyone has any suggestions on how to make compiz retain
the proper placement or how to change the focus on the workspace
switcher applet to workspace #2 at startup?

What I have tried:
I have googled.  Other people with earlier versions of Ubuntu have filed
bugs on the same issue.  No replies.
Asked on the Compiz user manual, site, mailsite and chat.  I was told to
wait for Compiz version 0.9 with no guarantee there was a fix coming.  I
think it requires the synchronization of too many small programs,
applets and scripts to get a real answer.

In any case, by now this has become more of an intriguing problem for me
to solve than just a hassle or a frustration.  Does anyone want to take
time to consider and offer some possible solutions or workarounds?

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32