Home virtual topo map advice?

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Fri Apr 29 18:44:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 06:57:57 +0930, Tim wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 16:15 +0000, BeartoothHOS wrote:
>> and no serial/USB adapter I know of helps
>
> Tangential question:  Is via USB the only way you can add a serial port?

	I'm not sure I understand the question -- perhaps because I don't
speak hardware.

	All my PCs in recent years have been assembled by friends to suit
my usage. So they all have actual serial ports. But I've only managed
once, even so, to establish connections -- for a month or so.

	At that point, thinking the last barrier surmounted, I gleefully
cleansed the house of the XP installs on separate hard drives to which I
had been dual-booting. And then, as Murphy would have it, the capability
evaporated, and has yet to be restored.

	Users and developers of Wine/CXO seem almost all to want to run
games a/o office software; hunters, fisherfolk, et hoc genus omne are all
but unrepresented -- while cartographers, wardrivers, et al. stick to
linux-native map software, all of which has invariably required a
learning curve unimaginable to those advanced enough to write it.

	I perceive a consensus, among Alpha Plus Technoids of my
acquaintance, that virtualization beats dual-booting; so I'm trying to
tackle that ....