So where are my workspaces??

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Sat Apr 30 17:17:18 UTC 2011

Chris Kloiber wrote:
> I run 8 workspaces, 4 across, 2 high. Email on screen 4 (upper right)
> personal stuff on 8 (lower right) and up to 6 different work tickets on
> the others. It's important for me to directly access any of them with a
> click on the panel so I can jump back and forth from ticket to ticket as
> needed. From what I have seen and heard so far, I'm screwed. Please
> prove me wrong.

I understand it is possible:
 * to assign keyboard shortcuts to take you to a particular workspace:
   (Windows / Super / Menu) plus number has been suggested.
 * to use the Windows key to bring up the overview mode, which may be
   faster than going to the top left corner then the right-hand side of
   the screen.
 * to install gnome-shell-extensions-auto-move-windows, which:
        Lets you manage your workspaces more easily, assigning a
        specific workspace to each application as soon as it creates a
        window, in a manner configurable with a GSettings key.

As other people have indicated, you may find that having as many
workspaces as needed, rather than being artificially limited to six, is
a major bonus. You may also find that the overview graphical preview of
your workspaces is much more useful than the Gnome 2 one, since it will
show you a lot more clearly what is in each workspace.

Hope this helps,

James.
--
E-mail:     james@ | … you don’t know who else your internet partner is
aprilcottage.co.uk | chatting with.  There’s nothing worse than a Turing