Rdesktop - Machine hanging problem

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Mon Aug 1 16:02:26 UTC 2011

On 08/01/2011 06:44 AM, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
> On 08/01/2011 08:02 PM, Rajender.M wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I installed Fedora core15 in our host machine which contains the rdesktop version1.6.0
>> When i try to connect to the remote machine using rdesktop the machine hangs and we need to do a hard reboot every time. We tried to install the same version in another machine and same thing happened in that machine too.
>> Since rdesktop is a normal user space application; such "cannot" hang the machine. So most likely the problem is with the Fedora15 os as with the Xorg server or may be any other reason.
>> I dint find any body reporting the same problem in the web and i need to resolve this issue. So please can any one help me in this regard.
>
> Try the same thing on a different window manager (as in not Gnome3,
> which I suspect is what you were using at the time) and see if you get
> the same results.

I run Gonme3 and rdesktop and have had problems.  In my
case they are intermittent -- most of the time rdesktop
connects and works fine.   But on several occasions in period
of a couple months, the gnome3 desktop has locked up or
gone into a weird state where I could change window focus
with the mouse, but windows would not respond to any mouse
or keyboard input.

In one case all keyboard input was dead, in another I was
able to cntl-alt-F4 to a command line console to kill Gnome-
session.  In yet another I was able to log into the Windows
machine directly, taking the session back from rdesktop,
which caused Gnome3 to come back to life.

I agree there seems to be a problem with rdesktop and Gnome3
but because of its intermittent nature here, I have not been
able to develop enough info for a useful bug report.