Vmware Workstation won't compile

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Tue Aug 2 12:12:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-02 at 06:42 -0400, Mark C. Allman wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-08-01 at 13:42 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >
> > Am 01.08.2011 13:39, schrieb Paul Smith:
> > >
> > > Consider instead to use VirtualBox:
> > >
> > > http://www.virtualbox.org/
> > >
> > > There is a repo for Fedora, so you can install it with yum. It works great!
> >
> > you can never compare vbox and VMware, really you can not!
> > VMware-Images can be used/converted everywehre up to ESXi/vCenter
> >
> > http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/2011/05/14/running-vmware-workstation-player-on-linux-2-6-39-updated/
> > http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/vmware2.6.39patchv3.tar.bz2
> >

> I installed 2.6.40-4.fc15.x86_64 and tried to build VMware.  I ran into
> this error almost at once:
>
>   CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
> /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:783:59: error:
> ‘SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED’ undeclared here (not in a function)
>

> It's caused by the following being removed from the file
> source/include/linux/spinlock_types.h:
>
> /*
>  * SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED defeats lockdep state tracking and is hence
>  * deprecated.
>  * Please use DEFINE_SPINLOCK() or __SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED() as
>  * appropriate.
>  */
> #define SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED __SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED(old_style_spin_init)
>
> Looks like a patch to the VMware source code should fix this issue. I
> can experiment with this if I can find the time.  There may be more
> "issues," however.

Nice find! I would suggest that we send this information to VMware
Support. Since Fedora is now considered a supported Linux distribution
for VMware Workstation (and vSphere as well), this should definitely be
of interest to them.

I can check with my VMware contacts to see where this should go to get
the quickest visibility and response.

Cheers,

Chris Williams
(VCAP4-DCD, VCAP4-DCA)