Virtualization

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 21:43:10 UTC 2011

On 08/02/2011 04:50 PM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> I specialize in virtualizing Oracle Databases (among other things).
> Given the choices of virtualization platforms you gave, I would tend to
> go with either VirtualBox or KVM, in that order of preference.

Hi Christopher,

To this day, as far as I know, Oracle doesn't certify their database on
any virtualization platform other than theirs.  That said,  I know many
people run Oracle over VMware and I also haven't heard any stories of
Oracle not wanting to support a customer because they were running a
non-certified virtualization platform.  However, I still think the OP
needs to be aware of this just in case.

> However, if I may, you will be much better off handling these things
> from a performance point of view using a bare metal hypervisor, and in
> that case, I would recommend the free version of ESXi.

I think KVM is considered a bare metal hypervisor as well.  I haven't
used it  but I was wondering if you had performed any tests (performance
wise) on Oracle over KVM vs Oracle over ESXi?

Regards,
Jorge