Virtualization

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 02:03:17 UTC 2011

On 08/02/2011 09:40 PM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> This is misleading at best and untrue from a practical matter. The key
> is support as opposed to certification, and Oracle DOES support their
> database systems on VMware. There is an official support statement from
> Oracle to that effect.
>
> The reality is that Oracle only *certifies* to the Operating system
> layer, and VMware vSphere (ESX/ESXi) is considered hardware in that
> regard. Ask Oracle if they certify their database on IBM vs. HP vs. Dell
> hardware and you'll find that they don't certify any of them.

Not entirely correct. Oracle _does_ use the term "certifies" when
referring not just to the OS but to the virtualization platform.   Check
this post and the Metalink notes mentioned there (I assume you have a
Metalink account):

http://blogs.oracle.com/UPGRADE/entry/is_oracle_certified_to_run_on

You'll see in one of the notes:

"Oracle has not certified any of its products on VMware virtualized
environments."...

The reality is that, if you have a support issue, the support
representative could - in theory - ask you to change your hypervisor in
order to proceed with your service request otherwise you won't be
supported.

> As an aside, it's also a little misleading to question certification
> with respect to VMware but not KVM, which is neither certified (for what
> that's worth) nor explicitly supported in the way that VMware is -
> particularly when it comes to RAC versions 11.2.0.2 and later.

I questioned it because it was the one suggested.  I never implied other
hypervisors were certified.

My intention is, for the OP to know that, the only virtualization
platform certified/supported by Oracle is merely their "Oracle VM"
platform.  If, in the day to day of business, they (Oracle) don't
enforce their "fine print" that's another issue.  My point is that one
needs to be aware of the "fine print" and the current state of affairs.

--
Jorge