Progress?

Frantisek Hanzlik franta at hanzlici.cz
Wed Aug 3 04:25:54 UTC 2011

James McKenzie wrote:
> On 8/1/11 11:46 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
>> On 1 August 2011 17:52, Stuart McGraw<smcg4191 at frii.com>  wrote:
>>..
>> but none of those.) As others have said the last two:
>> * Give us back the assurance of never having to reboot.
> This is a silly requirement.  There are always reasons to reboot.  What
> you mean, from what I gather, is don't make me reboot unless it is
> absolutely necessary (major kernel upgrade type stuff...)

I agree, reboot after kernel upgrade is perhaps tolerable.

>> * Give us back the legendary reliability that was the hallmark of
>> Linux and Fedora.
> Who are you kidding here.  Fedora != reliability.  RedHat ===
> reliability (I work with RH 5.6/RH 6 servers and they HAVE to be reliable.)

>From RH 4.x up to F12-F13 I wasn't afraid put it to servers (either
productions) even several weeks before final distro release. And all
works well, although sometimes with particular, quickly repaired problems.
F14 and F15 are from my experience troubled, at least for me. There are
unstable pieces as sssd, replace openssl with nss, systemd, and others.
Plus desktop stuff, with from bad to worse, always problematic vga drivers
(not server, but desktop problem, and most likely affected by accidental
HW/political things in this area). For years I sneered to mswindows users
for their machine freezes - and now it is reality on Fedora Linux desktops,
X on my Intel 82G35 based PC hung at least once a week (and as can see,
I'm not single afflicted).

Uptime from one my unattended server/desktop mix (CIFS server for small
firm with cca 6 win PCs + LTSP server for 3 diskless K12LTSP stations
(implied NFS stuff) + itself acting as desktop for 7 days x 12 hours
dispatching service + some other network services /ntp,dns,dhcp,dovecot,
squid,xfs,sendmail+clamav/regex/greylist milters,squirrelmail/apache,
saslauthd,cups,...):

$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.23.17-88.fc7 (mockbuild at xenbuilder2.fedora.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.1.2 20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-27)) #1 SMP Thu May 15 00:35:10 EDT 2008
$ cat /proc/uptime
90926960.50 211065.67
$ bc -l <<<"90926960.50/(24*3600)"
1052.39537615740740740740

(it is from old gold FedoraUn*x times, not today's FedoraWinDOS era ;)

Franta Hanzlik