Virtualization

Jorge Fábregas jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 11:34:49 UTC 2011

On 08/02/2011 11:26 PM, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> No - not even close. The reality is that Oracle will not ask you to
> change the hypervisor. Not in theory or in practice. Among other things,
> that's illegal. There are already lawsuits underway in related actions
> by Oracle, which I won't get into here. That would take too long and
> Groklaw does a batter job anyway.

I can't speculate (nor I think anyone can) on what they do in _reality_
with each & everyone of their customers.  Nevertheless, their statements
regarding this (which I already pointed you to) _are_ written on their
website and _that's_ s a reality.

> Certification in this regard is basically a marketing and FUD campaign
> on the part of Oracle to scare you to buy their hypervisor product,
> which is clearly inferior. Check out the latest Gartner Magic Quadrant
> report on OVM if you need to see 3rd party assessments of that (despite
> that I do not work for VMware either).

Their intentions for doing this (only certifying their virt platform) is
not in question here.  The intention is really obvious.  But then,
again, that doesn't change what they've been explicitly about.

> We're now way off base from the original post. Besides, this is a Fedora
> forum as opposed to a VMware or Oracle one. But You're going to be very
> hard pressed to prove that, as a practical matter, you're better off
> virtualizing Oracle databases on OVM as compared to VMware.

I'll leave it here hoping that if anyone searches the mailing list for
KVM|Oracle|VMware, they can find out what's the current Oracle policy
regarding this.  Tha has been my intention; not telling what's better or
not, what would happen or not; just the facts on their own website so
anyone can decide prior to any installation.

--
Jorge