Living with Systemd

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 18:34:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 10:32 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:

> I get the same error, but it appears to be harmless; console output
> WORKSFORME.  Perhaps you're expecting output in xterm?  Console ==
> /dev/console (which usually == tty1), not the tty you happen to be
> running systemctl on.

Ahh OK - I didn't understand that.
Unfortunately however I cannot test this at the moment. You see I run
that (F15) box headless and administer it by SSH'ing into it. I could
get physical access to the machine later, but then I'd also have to get
a monitor, mouse and keyboard for it (not impossible - but a hassle
nevertheless).

> You can redirect output to an arbitrary tty but
> only on a per-unit basis.  (In fact, this discussion has put a crazy
> notion in my head to use that functionality in a script that makes
> debugging services easier.)

That sounds interesting. Please keep me posted.

At least I am one step closer with syslog working, but it could
certainly be easier...

Thanks very much for your help so far. Much appreciated.

Best regards

Mark