Living with Systemd

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 19:36:22 UTC 2011

On 8/3/11, Arthur Dent <misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-03 at 10:32 -0700, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>

>> I get the same error, but it appears to be harmless; console output
>> WORKSFORME.  Perhaps you're expecting output in xterm?  Console ==
>> /dev/console (which usually == tty1), not the tty you happen to be
>> running systemctl on.
>
> Ahh OK - I didn't understand that.
> Unfortunately however I cannot test this at the moment. You see I run
> that (F15) box headless and administer it by SSH'ing into it. I could
> get physical access to the machine later, but then I'd also have to get
> a monitor, mouse and keyboard for it (not impossible - but a hassle
> nevertheless).

Googling around it would appear that it's possible to redirect
/dev/console to a pty, so you might try that.

systemd provides the "tty" option to DefaultStandardError but doesn't
seem to offer the configuration to actually set which tty it goes to.
I'll ping systemd-devel to see if that is a documentation or design
oversight, because that would help tremendously.