writing system tray plugin using GTK1?

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Fri Aug 5 16:36:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 11:18:56 -0500 Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com>
wrote:

> Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > I have been wanting to write a simple system tray plugin using GTK1. Is
> > it possible? Or am I constrained with using the more resource-hungry
> > GTK2?
>
> I won't get in to whether you can do it or not because:
> GTK1 is no longer actively maintained. It is on the chopping block to be
> removed from Fedora soon. You also have to worry about security holes
> that will go unpatched.

How about stuff that is written in GTK1? How would we compile these?

> Define "resource-hungry" as that could be used subjectively. GTK2 is no
> more "resource-hungry" than any other UI toolkit.

Perhaps true, but that does not mean that it should be used even when
other (possibly) unneeded leaner options are available. (Which, based
on your e-mail, seems to suggest may not be, for much longer.)

(Btw, I view "resource-hungry" in relative terms. Even the fastest
processors can do better with more efficient and smarter composed
code.)

Many thanks again, and best wishes,
Ranjan