[Fwd: Re: Network printing in Fedora 15]

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 5 23:32:45 UTC 2011

> >> I have exactly the same problem, printer is not auto-detected, and it is
> >> detected only if I insert the remote IP.
> >> I insert the correct driver, but at a certain step when verifying
> >> printer, I get the message that printer is not available!!
> >> Firewall is disabled on all network machines.
> >> What is the starting point to decode the problem (Printer is a HP2350
> >> all in one)?? Same printer with same driver is working fine if directed
> >> connected to computer
> >>
> >> Tnx
> > There are 2 secrets that you need to be aware of with printer  browsing.
> > Only configure the printer on the machine to which it is attached (the
> > server)
> > Browsing only works if the printers are on the same LAN
> >

> printers are on the same LAN.
> Not clear what you mean by saying that printer must be configured only
> on the attached machine: I understand that it should be configured also
> on the remote machine (or you mean that it should be left as Raw printer??)

>No configuring of printers should be done on the client machines, only on the server.
>Just do no configuration of printers on the clients.

To be completely clear. cups should be running on the printer clients but no running of configuration
software such as system-config-printer  should be done on the clients.

Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind. -- Mark Harrold
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net

On the road, ZIPPY is a pinhead without a purpose, but never without a
POINT.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net