Audio CDs not mounting

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Aug 5 23:33:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 14:44 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> I'm using F14 with XFCE.  Until recently, all went well.  Last week, I
> tried mounting a new audio CD that I'd bought so that I could listen
> to it.  Nothing happened.  I tried with another new CD, and an older
> CD that I"d used before, with no change.

For what it's worth, audio CDs cannot be mounted, they don't have a file
system on them.  It's just a stream of encoded data with a table of
contents at the start of the disc.

What can happen, though, is that your desktop, or file manager, or other
utility, can recognise that an inserted disc is an audio CD and give you
an interface for accessing the disc as if it were mounted.

So, you're not going to find it "mounted" and you may need to look for a
compact disc digital audio (CDDA) handler plug-in (depending on whether
your software is supposed to work with one, or has the feature built
in).

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686