Network printing in Fedora 15

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Aug 5 23:42:50 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-05 at 23:16 +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:
> Not clear what you mean by saying that printer must be configured only
> on the attached machine: I understand that it should be configured
> also on the remote machine (or you mean that it should be left as Raw
> printer??)

On the computer that the printer is directly plugged into, that computer
is configured as the printer server.  It does the driving for the
printer, and makes itself available to the network.

The clients should automatically find the server, without you doing
anything, at all, to the CUPS configuration on the client.  And it'll
make that printer available to any program that wants to print.

Theoretically, all you need to do to get it to work is:

1. Set up the server so that it can do its own printing (get the right
printer driver, test print through CUPS, test print through any program
that prints its output).  Then configure its CUPS server to share itself
to the LAN.

2. Set up the server's firewall so that it can act as a CUPS *server*
(probably called IPP, for internet printing protocol, in your firewall
configuration).

3. Set up your client's firewall so they can be a CUPS *client* (again,
it may be called IPP).

I don't know if, since the last time I set up network printing, there's
any options that need setting with SELinux configuration, as well.
There didn't used to be.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686