help needed on patitionning

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Aug 7 06:06:14 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 12:12 -0700, Adam Tong wrote:
> Had only one partition created a new one with a free win software
> "Minitool partition wizard home edition".

According to the documentation on the Fedora website, you didn't have to
do that.  You could have let Fedora's installer shrink your original
drive partition down, to make room for the Fedora installation.  But
never mind...

Which presumes that you shrank your original single partition down, and
made your new one in the space left over.  You want to install Linux
into that new partition.

Rather than creating that new partition, you could have simply shrunk
the old partition and did nothing more, leaving some *unallocated* space
(not actually creating a new partition, and not formatting it), and
Linux could have automatically used that "free" space for its own
installation (that's the criteria Linux uses to find "free" space on
your drive - space that's not already allocated as a partition).

But it looks like your new partition was created, then formatted,
appearing as "used" disc space, even if it doesn't have any files in it.
So, you'd install Linux choosing to take over and replace an existing
partition, rather than using free space (since you don't have any,
according to how it thinks free space is determined).  Just make sure
that you pick the new partition to re-use, not the old one.

That's assuming that you're trying to keep your Windows installation.
If you don't care about keeping it, then just use the whole disc for
Linux.

You might want to look through this part of the Fedora website:
http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-help

Particularly this section:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/15/html/Installation_Guide/s1-diskpartsetup-x86.html

--