Gnome 3: change wallpaper via commandline

Jitesh Shah jitesh.1337 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 16:17:49 UTC 2011

I have a pictures directory and a cron script that changes my
wallpaper every hour. For this, I need a way to change the wallpaper
via commandline.

On my F14 (Gnome 2), I used to just use gconf2 for the purpose
$ /usr/bin/gdconftool-2 -t string -s
/desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename "$PIC"
where $PIC = path to the wallpaper

However, this doesn't work on my Gnome-3 F15 install. A quick look at
the gnome-control-center/panels/background code suggests that
gnome-control-center doesn't do any gconf stuff to change the
wallpaper either.

What is the "latest and the greatest" way to change the wallpaper via
commandline? Did the gconf property migrate to some other directory?

Some useful info:
I am running F15.
$ rpm -q control-center
control-center-3.0.1.1-6.fc15.i686

Jitesh

--
Run away from difficulties to stand to fight them tomorrow.

http://aterriblewasteoflife.blogspot.com
http://nothingtechnicalaboutit.blogspot.com