html on Fedora -- looking for "where to go"

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Aug 8 22:51:21 UTC 2011

Joel:

Thanks for reply ... my answers(?) inline

On 8/8/2011 3:30 PM, Joel Rees wrote:

>> Regarding the validator, your comment was/is understood before I wrote
>> my email ...
> Not quite, perhaps.

I am prepared to discover my understanding is not as good as I thought
it was (smile)

> Well, outside the fact that even strictly standard html provides hooks
> for conformant ways to add non-conformant tags, yeah, conformance
> matters.
>
> The web standards have been open-ended from the beginning on purpose.
> It's a kind of hidden sub-text in the discussions, one of those
> proverbial elephants in the room. (Confused me for a long time, too.)

I am being very careful to not include outside material and/or
non-conformant tags. Back and forth to the w3c docs to make sure I am
doing things correct. I might have missed something ... and that may be
the honking clue I am looking for ... but don't see it yet

> Direct-X?

Oh, groan, never thought of that ...

> Even two distinct installs of Fedora 14 are likely to have distinct
> sets of libraries installed, and the java/ECMAscript interface to the
> OS libraries is a bit fuzzy.
>
> It goes without saying that you must have checked that you have the
> same set of add-ons loaded in each. Right?

Remember I mentioned having the plate and silverware ready for potential
eating of crow ...  well, of course I didn't check that and I am
preparing the crow.

Looking at WinXP, it has extensions Java Console 6.0.26 and Java Quick
Starter 1.0. It has plug-ins Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.260.3 and Java
(tm) Platform SE6 U26 6.0.260.3. The Linux has nothing with the word
Java in it. Can I at least cook the crow or is this one that requires
"raw with feathers"?

I gotta dig to figure out what these items are and which are needed ...
I have this memory many years ago of accepting a java something for XP
Firefox and not thinking anything more about it

> Shoot. Without a look at your source code, I would be hard-pressed to
> even suggest a proper forum for you among those that are dedicated to
> the various ways to mix HTML, CSS, ECMAscript, server-side tech, and
> so forth.

As I mentioned before, I sent the original email to see if I missed
something obvious (and I think that paid off with your reply). My next
step was to create a test html/javascript to duplicate by reduction of
original (and make sure that I wasn't doing something dumb in my original).

Let me try looking at the add-ons and, if that doesn't do it, I will
create the example.