Gnome 3: change wallpaper via commandline

Jitesh Shah jitesh.1337 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 06:17:14 UTC 2011

Jatin,

..snip..

> Cool script though. I'll spend some time on this today and let you
> know the new command-line.

I eventually ditched dconf too. "dconf write" kept saying that the
value needed to be in GVariant format. I did have a "file://" URI
specifier at the start. Anyway, I couldn't easily find what a GVariant
is, so I went over to gsettings.

It is a pretty straightforward change using gsettings. So now I am
using the command-line
/usr/bin/gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file://$PIC"

$PIC = full-path to the image file.

I just put this in a cron hourly script and it works like a charm :-)

Jitesh