[SOLVED] Re: html on Fedora -- looking for "where to go"

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 9 13:17:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-08 at 18:15 -0700, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> assuming case-insensitivity

With the Apache web server, there is a "helpful" option that does work
around some spelling/typing errors, doing its best to try and do what
you meant, rather than what you actually did (changing case, and working
around one or two mistyped letters, if there's a fairly obvious match).
Though, I tend to avoid it, as it leads to future problems - such as
uploading your site onto another server that doesn't have that feature.

Some time ago I made a policy decision that all URIs, and associated
file names, should avoid the use of the shift key, completely.  All
letters will be lower case, and any punctuation limited to things that
didn't, normally, need the shift key, and people won't mistype because
they didn't know what it was (no _ underscores, all dashes are single
hyphens, and using the same hyphen between words you'd, otherwise, space
apart).  Also, to try and use words in addresses that don't usually need
spelling or explaining to people (they should be easy to dictate over
the phone).  Hyphenating, instead of running words together, helps to
avoid some problems where people can't read a word, or you inadvertently
create a rude, or otherwise objectionable, word.

It's what you might call a "lazy typing" rule.  Both for me, and for
anybody else who might have to type in a URI.  Most people will type
everything in all lower case, and it's easier to read out a URI if you
can state the address, and say "all lower case," rather than try to say
how to type in some CamelCaseTyped portion of an address.

Once you've set yourself a rule, it's easier to be consistent throughout
your site.  Particularly if you put enough thought into it, ahead of
time, that you won't need to break it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686