strange behaviour of firefox

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 23:46:03 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 09.08.2011 06:48, schrieb Joel Rees:
>> So, rather than encouraging proper understanding and use of domain names (which is an issue at the heart of the
>> apparent need for url auto-correction functions), what is your suggestion? Joel Rees
>
> you realized that the topic is about LOCALHOST?

Have you re-read the original post?

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:23 AM, François Patte
<francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr> wrote:
> [...]
> Same problem if I try to open url:
>
> http://hostname:901 (hostname= the name I gave to my computer)
>
> FF try to open www.hostname.com (which does not exist)
> [...]

I don't know about you, but my instinct is that auto-correction will
not kick in until the original url fails to resolve. (But I seem to
not have any auto-correction installed in my systems this year, either
in FF or in F14, so my instincts may not reflect the state of the art
in plug-ins and add-ons.)

So my instinct was that somewhere in his setup, he had overruled the
ordinary search order.

Now, Robert suggests looking in /etc/nsswitch.conf , (thank you,
Robert) which I was having trouble remembering yesterday. That's why I
was asking if you had a better suggestion.

Now, if it turns out that nsswitch is set up right, he's back to the
original two questions, one being why the bare domain names don't
resolve, and the other being why he has domain name auto-correction
when he apparently doesn't want it.

If nsswitch has been altered from default, with dns given priority
(showing first on the line) or files missing from the line entirely,
then he wants to know what mucked with nsswitch, as well as why it
auto-corrects.

So, do you have a suggestion? Or should we wait to see whether
François has already solved the problem?

Joel Rees
(PS -- yeah, I tend to talk more than some people want me to
sometimes, but you can take that up with me off-list if you really
want to.)