[SOLVED] Re: html on Fedora -- looking for "where to go"

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 10 01:28:37 UTC 2011

On 8/9/2011 5:10 PM, Joel Rees wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Paul Allen Newell<pnewell at cs.cmu.edu>  wrote:
>> [...]
>> I wish the Chicago Manual of Style would weigh in on url name
>> conventions (not to mention typography in code). Not that I'd agree with
>> them, but it would be a good starting point.
> One of the problems with style relative to urls is that urls are
> intended to be human readable in an international context.
>
> The Chicago Manual of Style is USA-English centric.
>
> urls themselves were invented within the same large linguistic
> context, and in spite of intent, reflect the context. Case sensitivity
> as a distinguishing/non-distinguishing factor in names is a case in
> point, where mapping features of one language/culture to another does
> not produce mechanical equivalence. Tell Toto we're not in Kansas any
> more, etc.

Two points (that being a language/cultural mapping feature in and of
itself).

I don't have a good reply ... my "wish" only holds valid within a
particular localized language context. To what extent cultural issues
are part of or separate to that "language context" is way outside my
domain expertise.

As to internationalization of URL, I did some reading on IRI and I have
no idea how I would come up with "rules" to handle such. I do not have a
website so my usage is limited to my system(s) for data that needs links
et al ... with all due respect for those having to deal with such, it
doesn't seem like a problem I need to solve. Please don't take this as a
USA-centric dismissal of the need for a global solution(s), its more
like only going to the hardware store to buy the tools you need rather
than buying every tool in case you might need it.

> I guess what I'm trying to say is that we shouldn't be surprised by
> code that used to work and doesn't any more, nor should we be
> surprised by seemingly trivial errors being the blockers. Especially
> when they used not to really be errors.
>
> Joel Rees

Agreed.

Thanks for the food for thought,