Audio CDs not mounting

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 07:11:34 UTC 2011

On 10 August 2011 07:44, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-08-09 at 16:17 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
>> It should be possible to write a FUSE wrapper that would let you do
>> the desktop-interface trick as a proper mount. Not that I'm
>> volunteering.
>
> Though, I wonder what you'd do with it then?  dd or cat track to the
> sound device?  mplayer /media/music/track2?  (Though it can already do
> such things, directly.)

Or oggenc/lame. Basically just moving the ripping to present data
trick to a level independent of the desktop, though it has its limits
to (harder to incorporate DiscDB/FreeDB information and track renaming
at this level).

> Another way of showing how audio isn't really a file system:  Think
> about streaming radio.  It's a similar situation, choose a channel,
> listen to what comes through.  You have a basic selection method, but
> after that trying to shoehorn it into the file system model breaks down.

CDs are static information. If I burned a set of wavs to a CDROM we
wouldn't say, "It's not a filesystem because it's audio."

--
imalone