[SOLVED] Re: html on Fedora -- looking for "where to go"

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Wed Aug 10 14:40:12 UTC 2011

Tim wrote:

> I used to use the underscore, as it made sense (to me, and other
> programmers) as a substitute for a space.  But there's two drawbacks:
>
> 1.  Try explaining to the clueless what an underscore is, and how to
> type it.  Try doing that again and again, and you get real sick of it.
>
> 2.  You have the messy combinations of punctuation such as:
>
>         Shakespeare_-_The_Taming_of_the_Shrew
>
> Where it'd really be better to collapse all punctuation down to just one
> punctuation symbol.  That's "better" as in "easier and more convenient,"
> not more lexically correct.  Remember these are URIs (i.e. codes), not
> general language.
>
> 3.  If you ever want a URI printed on a newspaper or magazine, whoever
> types it may not be able to get an underscore into the text, unless
> they're familiar with how their publishing system works.  And, even
> then, they may fail.  Many of them will convert an underscore into an EM
> dash, since an underscore is hardly ever desired in print, yet proper
> dashes are wanted all the time.

4. Host Names (or 'labels' in DNS jargon) as traditionally defined by
RFC 952 and RFC 1123 may be composed of upper and lower case
characters, numeric characters, and the dash character.  RFC 2181
significantly liberalized the valid character set including the use of
"_" (underscore), but it is still a *good idea* to stick to the
traditionally defined characters[¹].

Mixing dashes and underscores in URLs is sloppy looking at best and
confusing at worst, so using the dash because it is well-supported in
host names is a good practice.

¹ http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/apa/names.html

Regards,

Matthew Roth