Solved - F15, ldap/ssl/sssd and certs from CAcert.org

Bobby Krupczak rdk at krupczak.org
Wed Aug 10 14:46:41 UTC 2011

Hi!

I was having problems getting ldapsearch (openldap) and sssd to accept
x509 certs from CAcert.org.

Thanks to sgallagh for pointing me to where to find a solution.
Apparently, in F15, openldap and sssd do not use openssl for TLS/SSL
libs.  They use Mozilla NSS instead.  Therefore, the default locations
for certificate authority certs has to be explicitly configured in
/etc/openldap/ldap.conf

By adding the following to my /etc/openldap/ldap.conf file, I got
ldapsearch and sssd to work over SSL to my LDAP server.

TLS_CACERTDIR /etc/pki/tls/certs
TLS_CACERT /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem

Uggh.  This was really frustrating . . . . .  I dont suppose something
could be placed in release notes when these kinds of changes occur?

Thanks,

Bobby