F15 installer align filesystems properly for an SSD?

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Thu Aug 11 14:09:25 UTC 2011

On 08/11/2011 02:46 PM, patrick korsnick wrote:
> I recently purchased my first SSD (a 256MB M4) and in setting it up stumbled
> across all the writings about tuning SSDs for linux. One of the main things that
> received a lot of attention was the filesystem alignment/erase block stuff.
>
> One post I read was that ubuntu's natty installer took this in to account and
> that partitions created from the installer would be correctly aligned. So I was
> wondering if F15s installer also had this feature or if you have to use a
> separate tool to set up the partition scheme and then run the F15 installer?

The tools used in F15 should respect the native alignments reported by devices
(assuming the device can reports it correctly). This is largely a result of work
upstream in the kernel as well as various partitioning and volume management
projects to report, propagate and use the values correctly.

Fedora has been doing this right by default for most devices for a few releases now.

Regards,
Bryn.