Growing frustration with Gnome Shell

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 17:29:52 UTC 2011

On 11 August 2011 18:00, Steven Stern <subscribed-lists at sterndata.com> wrote:
> On 08/11/2011 11:52 AM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
>> On 08/11/2011 12:44 PM, Steven Stern wrote:
>>> I've been using Gnome Shell since the alphas of F15 and I keep hoping
>>> that a few things get fixed.  I don't know if they're general problems
>>> or widespread. I've make a point of putting things in Bugzilla.  But, my
>>> problems are not going away.
>>
>> Maybe try another video card (one that uses a different driver).
>>
>> I haven't experienced ANY crashes of gnome-shell, on 3 test desktops, so
>> a stable system is possible.
>>

> I'm trying not to invest any money in this computer.  It's probably got
> a year left in it. The card is fairly standard and I'm using the default
> radeon drivers.
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60
> [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
> 01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon X300SE]

It's a pity the July shell crash one hasn't been triaged on RedHat
bugzilla, maybe you could submit it as a gnome bug with a pointer to
the Fedora bugzilla number.

It might be painful to do, but you could try using the generic Vesa
driver to see if that still crashes (though maybe that would just get
you fallback mode).

--
imalone