Growing frustration with Gnome Shell

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 19:25:07 UTC 2011

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 20:08:35 +0100
Alan Cox wrote:

> The sad thing is almost none of the 3D dependancies are remotely
> necessary as far as I can see - just about every 'clever' effect it has
> Enlightenments Evas seems to do faster while abstracting the canvas
> underneath to work with just about everything from a dumb frame buffer to
> a fairly full OpenGL.

Something about it also introduces a delay. If I run emacs in a plain
old FVWM session with no 3D composting going on, it is perfectly
functional.

If I run it under gnome-shell, I notice things like moving the cursor
to extend the selection introduces a distinct delay that makes it
very disconcerting to try and concentrate on what I'm editing
rather than being constantly distracted by the random delays.

This is all on the same hardware with the same video driver, so
the difference has to be gnome-shell.