Growing frustration with Gnome Shell

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Thu Aug 11 22:49:52 UTC 2011

On 08/11/2011 05:42 PM, Paul Morgan wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2011 6:03 PM, "Steven Stern" <subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
> <mailto:subscribed-lists at sterndata.com>> wrote:

>  But, my

> access to
>> > Not that this will solve your problem but on my machine when I type
>> > ALT-TAB , I get a window with icons for all the applications alive in
>> > the workspace and I can pick the one I want to run on top.
>> >

>> That's how it's supposed to work *and used to work* but at some point in
>> the not too distant past, pressing Alt-Tab causes the shell to crash and
>> be recreated. I'm tired of filing bug reports that are ignored.
>>
>> --
>> -- Steve
>
> Just find another environment.
>
> It's one thing to persevere and file bug reports. It's another thing to
> be ignored.
>
> Xfce works well for me with dual displays. Lxde is nice, but gets
> confused with dual displays.
>
> afterstep is available from 3rd party repos.
>
> Tiling managers at available, such as rat poison.
>
> As for me, I stuck it out for a few months then switched. Case closed.
>
> Hth,
> -paul

I'm now using XFCE with AWN. I do like some eye candy and a Mac-like
desktop.  I'll switch back to Gnome when I see yum dropping off a new
version of the shell.

Meantime, I'm trying to figure out how to get the media keys on my
keyboard to work with Rhythmbox. That worked "out of the box" on Gnome.

--
-- Steve