Qemu and Fedora text install

panicloop panicloop at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 11:21:49 UTC 2011

Hello Lars,

If you have installed virtualization package group in the Fedora 14,
you can use virsh, virt-install, etc commands and
it's easy to use them than qemu command.

You can start installation of fedora 15 guest with text console mode
with following command.

# virt-install \
--connect qemu:///system \
--name fedora15 \
--ram 1024 \
--disk path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/fedora15.img,size=8 \
--network network:default \
--location http://ftp.riken.jp/Linux/fedora/releases/15/Fedora/x86_64/os/ \
--os-type Linux \
--os-variant virtio26 \
--nographics \
--accelerate \
--hvm \
--extra-args 'console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200';

When you entered the above command, following message will be displayed.

-- message begin --
Creating domain...
Connected to domain fedora15
Escape character is ^]
-- message end --

Wait here for about 1〜2 minutes.
After this, the CUI screen of
"Welcome to Fedora for x86_64 Choose a Language" will be displayed.
You can proceed as usual installtion of fedora.
At the final stage of installation, "reboot" button will be displayed.
After you click the reboot button, the following messaged will be displayed.

-- message begin --
rebooting system
Restarting system.
-- message end --

At Here, just hit the 'Enter' key.
After this, you will see the following message.

-- message begin --
Starting sshd: [ OK ]
-- message end --

At Here, just hit the 'Enter' key again.
After this, Fedora15 login prompt will be displayed.
So, You can log in your Fedora 15 guest machine.

After you logged in the guest,
you have to enter the following command,
because it seems that the networks was not began properly
when the minimal installation was done with fedora 15.

# chkconfig network on
# service network restart

That's all. Enjoy!

If you have something error while installing guest machine,
you can clean up by the following command. And you can
restart installtion from the beginning.

# virsh list --all
# virsh destroy fedora15
# virsh undefine fedora15
# rm -f /var/lib/libvirt/images/fedora15.img
# service libvirtd restart

After successfull installation,
you can use the following commands to access
and manipulate the guest machine.

check which guests is available and if the guest is running or not
# virsh list --all

start fedora15 guest
# virsh start fedora15

connect to the fedora15's text console