Fedora 15 and mount points

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Aug 13 15:27:30 UTC 2011

Am 13.08.2011 17:19, schrieb Tom H:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> this thread is about a idiotic change in the behavior of mount
>> shortly before release F15 and i do not speak only about locate
>>
>> COREUTILS have to be fixed that there output is the same
>> as before the change or such a change has to be reverted
>>
>> but you can fix "df" for me if you have the time and knowledge
>> in a way that i get NOT a mail everytime a cronjob calls it
>> without root-permissions about access denied for /var/named/chroot/
>>
>>> evolution entails changes for the users
>> this is a dumb argumentation as long coreutils under "/bin/" are
>> broken because they are outside the users reach to do anything
> So anyone/anything with whom/which you don't agree is dumb, silly, ...
no but it shows that all arguments "if we break applications we fix it"
is simply not true because in the reality this ends most of the time
in "i break it, we fix it and we are the others"

i have no problem with changes

i have only hughe problems with changes breaking things but released
anyways while don't care about anything and months after that the
things are not going fixed and on several bugreports nobody knows
who is responsible - to make clear who is responsible is needed
BEFORE roll out things breaking a lot of other

what here happens is blindly changing things that were not broken
before and the users can only hope that it will be fixed in the
release who broke it or maybe in the next or even in a year

my understandig of "distribution" is simply that such things are
coordinated and rolled out if dpending packages are prepared
instead of broken - you know the word "quality"?

i know what now follows: "this is open source, why do YOU not fix it"
because i can not, but i must not be able to build a rock-solid
house to have the knowledge that it is not rock-solid if it breaks
down after the first rain!