Fedora 15 and mount points

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 14:04:46 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 11:27 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> Am 13.08.2011 17:19, schrieb Tom H:
>>
>> So anyone/anything with whom/which you don't agree is dumb, silly, ...
>
> no but it shows that all arguments "if we break applications we fix it"
> is simply not true because in the reality this ends most of the time
> in "i break it, we fix it and we are the others"
>
> i have no problem with changes
>
> i have only hughe problems with changes breaking things but released
> anyways while don't care about anything and months after that the
> things are not going fixed and on several bugreports nobody knows
> who is responsible - to make clear who is responsible is needed
> BEFORE roll out things breaking a lot of other
>
> what here happens is blindly changing things that were not broken
> before and the users can only hope that it will be fixed in the
> release who broke it or maybe in the next or even in a year
>
> my understandig of "distribution" is simply that such things are
> coordinated and rolled out if dpending packages are prepared
> instead of broken - you know the word "quality"?
>
> i know what now follows: "this is open source, why do YOU not fix it"
> because i can not, but i must not be able to build a rock-solid
> house to have the knowledge that it is not rock-solid if it breaks
> down after the first rain!

I've never and would never suggest "this is open source, why don't you
fix it" because I'm not a developer and don't expect/assume others to
be.

There isn't a single distribution that's released without any bugs.
Even RHEL and Debian, supposedly released when everything's OK and
without a fixed release date, have bug fixes published almost
immediately post-release.

While we wait for a "proper" solution, I made some simple suggestions
for getting more usual output from findmnt in lieu of mount in one
post and someone posted a far more intelligent wrapper for df's output
to return to normal in another post (although, if you have a bind
mount in your fstab, you have to add "|bind" to the "egrep -v"
argument).