Fedora 15 and mount points

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Aug 14 16:21:12 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 08:20 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 08/14/2011 07:04 AM, Tom H wrote:
> > There isn't a single distribution that's released without any bugs.
> > Even RHEL and Debian, supposedly released when everything's OK and
> > without a fixed release date, have bug fixes published almost
> > immediately post-release.
>
> On a side note, I was explaining at fedoraforums.org why I haven't gone
> from F 14 to 15 and don't want to.  One of the replies was, "Most of the
> bugs have been fixed."  As I pointed out, that's a classic case of
> damning with faint praise.
----
I suspect that if you read through various writings of Eric Raymond
(probably most specifically the Cathedral and the Bazaar[1]), you will
discover that one of the core tenets is to release early & often.

While it may seem that this philosophy runs counter to having a
functional and productive OS to use, it has proved to be considerably
successful path for open source development. Fedora does tend to be on
the leading edge of implementation of open source software so in the
case of something like Fedora 15 where GNOME and systemd mainstream
significant changes to things, with enough people using, bug reporting,
sometimes offering patches, etc. it does accelerate software
development.

Some poeple choose to stay a release behind so as to not subject
themselves to things are not fully polished - that is their prerogative.
The people who don't participate in using/bug reporting/documenting/etc.
the latest releases probably should refrain from irrelevant comments.

Someone who wants a 'stable' release should just install RHEL or CentOS
or Ubuntu LTS as that is clearly the intent of those distributions.

Someone who wants a 'somewhat stable' release closer to the bleeding
edge should probably stay a Fedora release behind.

Using the latest Fedora release is an excellent way to help move the
development along but that does require some patience at times and some
willingness to do bug reporting - even when it appears that the
developers/packagers aren't following through on bug reports.

Craig

[1] http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/homesteading/cathedral-bazaar/

believed to be clean.