Samba asking for authorization to browse suddenly

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Mon Aug 15 23:19:08 UTC 2011

I think Samba's the culprit. Samba is set up in share mode on my
mixed Win7 and Linux network. Up to some recent period, Windows
boxes could see my Fedora shares and my Fedora box could get on
the network and see the Windows shares - typically I use Dolphin
and select Network\Samba Shares That brings up the "Workgroup"
icon and clicking that would show the computers on the network.

Now, I get a UN/PW authorization dialog as soon as I click on
"Workgroup", and nothing I enter works but just returns the
dialog. I don't remember when it was last working, but, it's been
a while since I tried to browse my Windows boxes.

I've checked the firewall settings to make sure they didn't get
changed and tried turning off Selinux enforcing; the machine is
Fedora 15 64-bit and is fully up to date. I tried installing Smb4k
and when I scan the network using its interface, it just returns a
blank screen...

I've looked at the system and samba logs - the only interesting I
see there, in the Samba log, is messages like this: "Scheduled
cleanup of brl and lock database after unclean shutdownz" - this
happenned several times today it claims - then there follows a
message saying it is running the cleanup, and that's followed by
strings of messages like this "Could not find child 15456 --
ignoring"... I haven't hard rebooted the machine or anything like
that, so I'm not sure what "unclean shutdown" is referring to...

Ideas?
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA