Samba asking for authorization to browse suddenly

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Tue Aug 16 04:05:50 UTC 2011

On Monday, August 15, 2011, Craig White wrote:
> Windows computer WIN7JJ doesn't belong to a workgroup called
> 'Workgroup'

how did you determine that? I'll check on that for sure

> I'm not sure why it didn't say 'anonymous' when you connected
> to it. Did you type a password?
no, I pressed 'enter' as you suggested

> You should be able to get a
> list of shares without a login/password.

I did

> What about the Samba computer? Where does workgroup 'Workgroup'
> come from? Shouldn't all the systems have the same workgroup
> name?

workgroup is configured in the Samba GUI settings page, under the
'Base Settings' tab

here's a readout from testparm which you suggested I post years
ago - maybe it will help:

# testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit
(16384)
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[ImageArchive]"