telnet on local LAN question

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 16 06:22:38 UTC 2011

On 8/15/2011 11:13 PM, James Hogarth wrote:

> > It seems that the telnet problem is a simpler one than the mail/mailx
> > and if I can at least get telnet working, then I am closer to getting
> > mail/mailx working.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> 1) Why telnet? SSH is much more secure and should work out the box.
>
> 2) What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the mailx stuff? Do
> you want mail to go directly between machines rather than to a central
> server?

1) telnet is only being used to test why I can't use it ... ssh/scp is
my preferred method under regular usage

2) I want to send mail between the Linux boxes on the local LAN and wish
to treat each box as independent rather than organize them into
clients/server. I already have figured out (with much help from this
community and my email provider) how to send email from each of them to
my thunderbird account maintained elsewhere (which I am currently
accessing from Win XP / Win 7 but hope to eventually deploy Thunderbird
on one or more of my Linux boxes.

To be honest, I won't die if I can't do this. But it sure seems like I
should be able to and that is why I am asking.

Thanks for your response,
Paul