Time sync is foobar

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Aug 16 11:21:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-16 at 04:51 +1000, Roger wrote:
> > sounds like one of them is set to use UTC and the other is not.
> >
> > on Fedora, run the command (as root)
> >
> > system-config-date
> >
> > check the tab 'Date and Time', verify the time server, under 'Advanced
> > Options', you may want to uncheck the local time source
> >
> > check the tab called 'Time Zone', change the time zone to whatever it
> > should be, check the option for 'system uses UTC clock'
> >
> > Craig
>

> It's puzzling.
> Ubuntu timezone is Melbourne Victoria and shows correct time and date
> Fedora timezone is Melbourne Victoria and DateTime shows 4:27:40 seconds
> and correct date.
> Synchronise System Time is off for both installations
> UTC is off in both systems.
> PC system time is correct for Ubuntu.
> Changing Fedora time and saving resets Ubuntu time to +10 hours
> When I first noted this issue I fresh installed Fedora but problem
> remains.
----
If they are both NOT set to UTC time you should be able to leave things
alone and they would work themselves out.

Melbourne is definitely GMT + 10.00 hours
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/australia/victoria/melbourne/

If things don't get fixed by leaving them alone, then one of them is
still set to use UTC despite your declarations above.

Craig

believed to be clean.