Samba asking for authorization to browse suddenly

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Tue Aug 16 15:50:40 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, August 16, 2011, Craig White wrote:
> I think you need to set 'guest account'
>
> see the man page for smb.conf and locate the
>
> NOTE ABOUT USERNAME/PASSWORD VALIDATION
>
> SECURITY = SHARE
>
> sections
>
> also - fwiw, 'testparm -sv' will give you all the settings,
> including the defaults which are surely there if you don't
> have any configuration for them and doing 'testparm -sv | grep
> guest' will probably show you who is configured for the guest
> account which is likely not working for you.

I'm still trying to figure this out, but, what puzzles me is what
caused things to change. It was working perfectly. It could easily
be some Windows update as well as some Samba update, I suppose.
I've tried to google this issue, but most hits I'm getting are old
and talk about an smbclient update being the culprit... If this
were an update caused problem, one would presume that others would
be having the issue...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA