networking vs. VirtualBox

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Aug 16 21:24:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Tom H wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Michael Hennebry
> <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
>>
>> What is the magic formula for doing networking
>> from a VirtualBox guest?
>> So far, the only way I've been able to make it work at all is
>> to install a graphical version and click on the networking icon.
>> That doesn't work if I do a minimal install.
>> What does?
>
> I saved this link because I've been meaning to test "VBoxManage..."
> but haven't yet. Maybe it'll help:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html
> and for networking:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#idp12474912

Thanks, but I think that my VirtualBox settings are correct:
I can make networking work if I install a graphical desktop.
What I can't seem to find is the guest's (Fedora 14's)
command-line on-switch for networking.
I don't understand why this is hard.

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.