networking vs. VirtualBox

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 22:38:11 UTC 2011

On Tuesday 16 August 2011 22:24:56 Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Tom H wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 1:11 AM, Michael Hennebry
> >
> > <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
> >> What is the magic formula for doing networking
> >> from a VirtualBox guest?
> >> So far, the only way I've been able to make it work at all is
> >> to install a graphical version and click on the networking icon.
> >> That doesn't work if I do a minimal install.
> >> What does?
> >
> > I saved this link because I've been meaning to test "VBoxManage..."
> > but haven't yet. Maybe it'll help:
> > http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html
> > and for networking:
> > http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#idp12474912
>
> Thanks, but I think that my VirtualBox settings are correct:
> I can make networking work if I install a graphical desktop.
> What I can't seem to find is the guest's (Fedora 14's)
> command-line on-switch for networking.
> I don't understand why this is hard.

Maybe you want to "yum install cnetworkmanager", and then RTFM,
"cnetworkmanager --help".

Also, given that the network isn't available for the guest, you might want to
install this on the host machine instead, then look inside /var/cache/yum/ to
find the appropriate rpm files and transfer them and install to the guest
manually (via the .iso image or something).

Alternatively, you might consider disabling NetworkManager and configuring the
old network service instead. I believe the guest has a virtual wired LAN card
which is in the "connected" state to the virtual switch that VBox provides, so
it makes sense to use the network service instead of NetworkManager, as the
guest is always online via the (virtual) wired cable. Go to
/etc/sysconfig/networking/ and edit the appropriate files, then do a "service
network start" to activate it.

At any rate, if you are configuring a minimal, CLI-only Fedora system as the
guest, you are supposed to be familiar with manual network configuration. There
is no simple "on-switch". If you are not using the GUI tools, you are assumed
to be an advanced user who knows his way around with the command prompt and
/etc directory.

HTH, :-)
Marko